Monday, December 22, 2008

Purpose

I have many strong opinions concerning the gospel. Occasionally I see it fit to share these thoughts and ideas in Sunday school or in Relief Society, only to have a teacher retort with a baffled look or a comment, "That's not doctrine." Truthfully I'd like to discuss what doctrine is - that we have very little doctrine but perhaps Relief Society is not the forum to contemplate the idea of Brigham Young's Adam-God theory and how Prophets can be wrong.

I believe that the Church was founded on an idea that lends the Saints freedom of ideas allowing the Holy Ghost as a guide for truth. He is our liahona as we are seeking the mysteries of heavens, earth, our God, and the purpose of life. Prophets lead and guide us as well but they are one part of tools we may use - not the only tool along with the scriptures. I believe scientific discoveries, other theologians and philosophers, and mathematics can also provide insights that provide doctrinal truths and foundations that can in totality show that Joseph Smith restored Christ's correct Church.

After frustrating rameumptom-esque sheep mindlessly following the iron rod course without thought and believing that they are using their "faith", I finally decided the only outlet to really discuss my ideas and concepts with research and insight from many sources would be through this blog.

Like Hugh Nibley once said, "I refuse to be responsible for anything I wrote more than 3 years ago. Fore heaven's sake I hope we're moving forward here...I would say that 4/5 of everything I have put down has changed. Of course!" As well as "intelligence is examining your own inadequacy." I also subscribe to J. Bonner Ritchie's idea of protecting yourself against organizational abuse, and I think that certain members are far too judgmental keeping the less active from coming back and keeping those who are active constantly on their toes. I too can be critical (I just was!), but at the same time I also understand that there's room for both types of members in the Church.

The purpose of my blog is to explore some of my more "radical" ideas that I know I can't discuss openly with the core membership of the Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment